Corn & Chorizo Fritters

Corn Corn Corn

I would love to say that the anticipation of working in the kitchen was the inspiration for this post, but that would be a complete lie.  Three ears sat on my counter when I realized Monday afternoon that PRESEASON was here!!

Monday Night Football.  Even in pre-season this alone is a cause for celebration, but when you team plays it’s go time!!  I had nothing relativity close to football food, because really what else would you eat while watching football?

So I sprinted to my kitchen and threw open my fridge, okay that’s a little dramatic.  Moving on.  In my fridge I found queso fresco, chorizo, and two very dead celery stalks.  A pretty sad start for football food.

Luckily, my daughter pointed out the 3 ears of corn.  FRITTERS!!  So maybe fritters aren’t the first idea that comes to mind when thinking of  football food.  But this girl was taught to work with what ya got and boy did it work!

Crumbled queso fresco added to chorizo and fresh corn are coated in panko and pan fried until golden brown.  Serve warm with a spicy salsita or with tiny dollops of sour cream with a splash of lime juice.  Snacking on corn fritters, sipping a cold beer, hubby and football.  Now that’s good time!! Enjoy!

Chorizo Corn Fritters

makes 24

2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 ears of corn)

10 oz queso fresco, crumbled

6 oz chorizo, cooked and allow to cool

1 cup flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

2 egg yolks, lightly beaten

3 cups panko

salt

pepper

oil for frying

In a large bowl add crumbled queso fresco, egg yolks ans stir to combine.  Add cooled chorizo, corn, flour and baking powder.  Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat and add 1/2 inch of oil.  Using a spoon or measuring spoon scoop mixture by 1 tablespoon into panko.

Coat completely, then pat into 1/2 thick oval.  Fry until golden brown and place on paper towels to drain.

Comments

1. Janna says

Just ran across this post and they look amazing. So much so that I decided to write the recipe down. In doing so, I noticed that in the ingredients you listed baking powder but in the instructions you said baking soda. Would you mind clarifying?
    Thanks

• VianneyVianney says

Hey Janna!!
      Thank you so much for pointing this out, baking powderis what is should read. So glad you caught the mistake, thanks! Let me know how they turn out, we love them!

so glad you got in one more time and with another of your winning recipes… hey, all of yours are winners right? you know I think so anyway… I want you to know, I took a notion to this recipe a while back and made one using a local sausage, fresh silver king corn with Serrano peppers… been meaning to tell ya they were killer appies as I served them with a shrimp relish on top… thanks so much for being part of the football series and most important, being part of my life in sharing regional cookery that means so much to you… best wishes in the draw for the grand prize
    Drick recently posted..Last Chance – Game-Day Week 14My Profile

Vanja would go CRAZY over these- and they look divine…. YUM! But, we cannot get that cheese here – what would a close substitute be? Bocconcini?
    V
    Val, you could use any crumbled cheese, feta .

Wow! I wish I could come over to your house to watch football. These would make any person happy! Thank you for sharing yet another creative and delicious eat. I hope you have a wonderful end to your work week. I wish tomorrow was Friday but it will get here soon enough!

oh i’m making this! I have precisely three ears right now that I wanted to use earlier this week… just staring at me… i was thinking of sweet corn puree, but this tickles me mas! love it. Bring the football on!!!!!

I’ve been doing zucchini fritters but I must say – those are just delectable and heightened. In spite of MN not having a bumper crop this year – when the corn is sweet and flowing and just picked – minimal cooking time. I just enjoy the corn!