Texas Monthly Pecan Pie

pecan pie 001 576x1024 Texas Monthly  Pecan Pie texas monthly holiday recipes baked goods

A Texan’s Thanksgiving table in not complete without a Pecan Pie.  Our State tree, a source of pride we Texans take pecan pie pretty serious.  Married 12 years, my husband not once has asked for a chocolate cake or strawberry tart for any birthday.  Everyone knows, he wants Pecan Pie.  As we make plans to head over to spend Thanksgiving with our family, his number one concern, will there be pecan pie?  I love him!

pecan pie 017 881x1024 Texas Monthly  Pecan Pie texas monthly holiday recipes baked goods

My freezer is always stocked with pecans from Hondo, Seguin and I happily added to my collection on my way home from Houston last weekend from a roadside stand. Please use quality halves, no bits or pieces in your pie.  The edges in my pie are never perfect.  Tiny hands are eager to loan their fingers in helping mommy pinch the pie crust. I love it’s rustic nature where I can clearly make out each of my girls’ fingers. Enjoy!

Baking a Pecan Pie from Texas Monthly’s The Manual

1 cup white sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

4 eggs

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1  1/2 cups pecan halves

1. “The key to a great pie is great crust,” says Royer. Dissolve the salt in the water. Set aside. Using two forks, your hands, or, if you’re a kitchen gadget fanatic, a dough blender, cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Add the salt  water and mix until the dough pulls cleanly away from your hands (if needed, add a tablespoon or two of flour). This recipe makes three 10-inch crusts; leave out your working dough and put the other two in the freezer for later use.

2. Clear some counter space and lightly dust the surface, a rolling pin, the dough,  and your hands with flour. Applying even pressure, roll out the dough with a back-and-forth motion. Give it a half turn, and repeat the process until it’s roughly 1/8 inch thick. Dust the dough, and fold it in half twice, so it forms a wedge. Place the crust in a 10-inch pie pan, and unfold it.

3. Some people crimp the crust using fork tines, but Royer simply pinches the dough between his fingers. “This is homemade, which means it doesn’t have to be  perfect,” he says. “Life’s too short to make decorative leaves out of dough.”

4. Melt the butter, and combine it with the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, salt, and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Place the pecan halves on top. (“It’s important to use  the halves,” says Royer. “They taste better than the pieces.”) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. It’s ready when you stick a knife into the pie and it comes out clean.

Comments

I don’t think I’ve ever had pecan pie. Well, the holidays are an excuse to bake, right =P?

I love what you said about your girls’ hands and the pie crust. So sweet. I’m sure you’re an amazing mother!

xx

Your hubby sounds cool ;D The pecan pie looks delicious–I’ve never had any before, actually. But looking at the recipe and those photos, I think that I’d really like its texture…and taste.

I actually forgot that I enjoyed pecan pie once in my life. I think I had it at someone’s home and it was my very first pecan pie and I had even 2nd piece. I don’t bake pies, so I’ve been eating typical pumpkin pies and blueberry pies, etc..and until this post I nearly forgot how delicious the pecan pie was! I’m craving for it so badly! Definitely my wish for Thanksgiving this year. Your pie is absolutely gorgeous and wish I could have yours instead…(or wish I could make it).
    Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Japanese Clams (Sake Steamed Clams) & Fairy Hobmother’s VisitMy Profile

Your pie is simply GORGEOUS! I can see why it’s a favorite. My daughter, son-in-law, and their kids will be here for Thanksgiving, from Texas…Maybe I should surprise them with this pie?!? :)

Well said! One of the foods I miss most since moving to Cayman is pecan pie. For me, it’s just not the same when its made from pecans I didn’t spend hours picking up in the front yard under our massive tree. I think yours turned out beautifully! Perfect for Turkey dinner :)
    Parsley Sage recently posted..Banana Toffee PaniniMy Profile

Yep, its that time of year again. I have felt the pecans calling my name everytime i walk past my freezer. I store them up throughout the year to make my pies come thanksgiving and christmas. I must say I might be making this recipe this time because it looks out of this world!

I have not visited your site for so long !!! And you have a new layout :) I like it.

I was reading this article abt shelling pecans and how they pronounce pecans in Texas – is it “puh-cahns”? and not “pee-cans”? ;p

What a gorgeous pecan pie! The pecan halves are perfectly placed! I’m a lazy cook so I mix the pecans in with the filling mixture, pour and hope for the best. :) You should enter this pie in the state fair! (P.S. sorry for the double comment on the pepita brittle, but I guess it shows how much I love pepitas. :) )
    mjskit recently posted..Garlic SoupMy Profile

• VianneyVianney says

Thanks, double comments..the more the merrier, lol. It’s funny that you mention that placing of the halves, my daughter is the baker of the house. She placed each one, gotta love her!

Yes. I must agree. These Texas tables demand pecan! Can you believe I’ve never made one before? Yikes! I need to change that! Thank you for sharing with me. As always, you make me smile. I hope you are having a great week. I know I’m ready for Friday!
    Monet recently posted..Cranberry Walnut BreadMy Profile

Maybe I’m a Texan at heart, because there is not many desserts that I love as much as I love Pecan Pie. This is just gorgeous and I wish I could have a fat slice with some coffee right now!