My big sister hated avocados growing up, scowling at the simple site of them. We kids would shake our head in confusion. What’s wrong with that girl? Really? Growing up in a Mexican household avocados are practically in thrown in every dish, served with every meal and eaten by the TON. Did she not get it? How could she not appreciate the glorious taste of this creamy, dreamy green flesh?
Oh we encouraged her to try them..practically at every meal y nada. She wouldn’t budge.
Until one day we all quit trying. Then she left to college. And you know what happens at college parties?
Now she can’t get enough of them.
- 4 large, ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ medium onion, finely minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeded (if heat is a concern)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Cut avocados in half, remove seeds and scoop into a large bowl. With a fork or potato masher roughly mash the avocado.
- Add the lime juice, onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, salt, pepper and cilantro. Stir to combine, serve with tortilla chips.