Jalapeno Cheddar Hushpuppies
What’s a big platter of freshly fried oyster without some hushpuppies? Um, yes please.
Little fried balls oozing with cheese with a kick from Jalapeno. Love bites.
Growing up our neighbor made the best hushpuppies – light, airy he made them by the hundreds. He always sent us over a few dozen, they never lasted long.
I can only hope these are just as good as his were, but I did have to add my own personal spin on them.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 jalapeno chopped seeded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a large bowl sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs and jalapeno and cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into cornmeal/flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Heat oil on medium high heat, using a thermometer, to 350°.
- Using a tablespoon drop batter, in batches into oil and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.