Emeril’s Cast Iron Honey Cornbread

water 025 1024x685 Emerils Cast Iron Honey Cornbread  sweet treats side dishes baked goods

Wow I feel so much better…Many thanks for all your warmest comments. I decided to move and wow am I ever LOST!! But be patient with me while I get used to this new system. While my house was being flooded by sneezing, coughing and so much needed naps I still found myself cooking..which is funny because even when i am sick I still want to eat good food. I’m sorry I cannot eat canned soup…so I was making batches of simple soups, out of stock I had in the freezer- every time I pulled some out I quickly stood there proudly waiting for the applause to break out from me being such a wonderful planner and having delish stock for our soup….I’m still waiting for that applause..Well we had simple soups with roasted veggies or just simple pasta and peas but after a few days I began to need more..yes something more substantial for my soup. I need a bread to help me sop up my soup. I didn’t want to sit around feeling lousy watching yeast rise..which I love- but maybe next week. I needed something quick- a cornbread yes cornbread in my trusty cast iron skillet…lovely…applause..nothing..man I need groupies these kids don’t appreciate my skills. Being sick does give you extra time..well it did for me anyways I had fun..Emerl’s Cast Iron Honey Cornbread

water 029 Emerils Cast Iron Honey Cornbread  sweet treats side dishes baked goods

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1/2 teasponn baking powder

1 tsp sugar

3/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk

1 large egg, lightly beaten

5 tbsp unsalted butter melted plus 5tbsp unsalted butter, room temp

1 tbsp veggie oil

1/4 cup plus 2tbsp honey

Heat skillet over medium heat and preheat oven to 400 degrees

1 in a large bowl, whisk together dry, ingridients. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Add buttermixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

2 Place oil and 1 tbsp room temp butter in hot skillet; brush to coat bottom and side. Pour in batter. Cover and bake until center comes out clean about 12-15 minutes.

3 Combine honey with 4 tbsp room temp butter. Brush mixture on cornbread. Let stand 5 minutes.Serve warm.

Comments

That looks so yummy! I totally agree–soup needs some sort of bread for it to be properly enjoyed. Cornbread is definitely my go-to, especially with chilis and wintery soups.

Congrats on your new home. All new homes take time to get used to….

I am impressed with your organization for blog posts! I just have a file I cram things into.

And I agree about homemade stock. It MAKES a soup.

Can you hear my applause? I am clapping my hands loudly for you :-) Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Soup-especially, fresh made soup is comfort to the soul!

I just can’t get over how seriously adorable your blog and posts are… so creative and fun! You might be my new hero blogger!

Emeril’s cornbread recipe reminds me of one my mother used to make in a cast iron skillet. Thanks for bringing back fond memories of fresh baked cornbread wafting from the kitchen of the old house down in New Orleans.

great new site, and TREMENDOUS cornbread. i’ve always enjoyed emeril’s recipe for it, and if the cast iron skillet gets used, you know there’s some good food coming your way!

Hey Bonnie,
    Congrats on the new site. We must be kindred spirits..either that or we touched the same germs…”cause we’ve been sick around here as well. Glad you are well now. Yum on the cornbread!

Yes, you are a great planner. I am very impressed! One day our kids will appreciate us, maybe, right?? Glad to hear you guys are feeling better. I am wowed by you planning ahead on your future posts. The skillet cornbread looks awesome.

Great to know your feeling good. You sure look pretty in the pic, kind of reminded me of Shirley Temple! (if you know who she is)
    Anyways, love the cornbread, espe because it is made mainly with cornbread! Bet its crunchy and yummy

Dear Sweetlife!

I LOVE your makeover :) and love that beautiful smile from your old pic.

The corn bread looks yummy and how I adore a good corn bread! I am so excited you are fixing the roasted sweet peppers & spring rolls this weekend.

Just bear in mind, peeling the peppers can be tedious work so don’t let them overcool & you’ll need to be patient :) The spring rolls – well you’re a pro! ….yippee….and I hope you have a lovely weekend with friends.

So glad you’re feeling better & great to have you back in the swing of things!

Hugs,

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Aw, glad you’re feeling better!
    & I’ll give you your applause *claps*, because you certainly deserve it.
    I don’t touch canned soup Ever.
    & that’s such a pretty picture, your future post setup.
    Aww, you had such a sweet face and pretty hair =).
    And that is so cool, baking in a skillet.

~Kurious Kitteh

glad everyone is feeling better!! and I applaud you for having frozen stock; I am no where near that prepared, ever!!

Thanks for the recipe. Now I have another use for my new cast iron!

I too have to make homemade soup when sick. I often keep a container of spicy chicken soup in the freezer for the first day of sickness while I make up another batch.

I know what you mean about coming up with future posts – I always have a notebook handy for jotting down quote, books and post idea. Not nerdy – prepared.

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

I LOVE CORNBREAD so much!

I’ve never researched for posts. I just start writing what ever crazy ideas come oozing out of my head. :)