Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart

blackberr yogurt tart 076 1024x685 Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart sweet treats holiday recipes baked goods

Hello Spring!!!

My Spring Inspirations…

sanantonio 018 1024x685 Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart sweet treats holiday recipes baked goods

A Texas tradition was started by Lady Bird Johnson, after her return from Washington, D.C.as First Lady to President Lyndon Baines Johnson. Lady Bird persuaded the government of the State of Texas to seed bluebonnets and other wildflowers along the highways throughout the state. Every spring the flowers return as a legacy of the First Lady.

Bluebonnet

We recently made a quick trip to San Antonio- with Spring upon on us I was wishing and hoping I’d get  a chance to see my beloved state flower the Bluebonnet.   All of the sudden –out of nowhere Spring came and completely took my breath away.  I was so happy to see fields of bluebonnets that I quickly asked hubby to stop so we could take a few pics.  How wonderful mother nature is to give us such sweet gifts of such intense color every year….

sanantonio 019 1024x685 Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart sweet treats holiday recipes baked goods

“It is a common myth that it is illegal to pick bluebonnets in Texas, possibly because the bluebonnet is Texas’ state flower. In fact, it is perfectly legal to pick them. Part of the confusion may stem from illegal activity associated with the picking of the flower, such as parking along busy highways or trespassing on private property”  from wikipedia

sanantonio 020 1024x685 Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart sweet treats holiday recipes baked goods

So Spring is here and I am super happy,  after seeing all those amazing bluebonnets-  combined with my joy to have my mom  visit for the weekend – I wanted to make a special treat to welcome Spring and my mom.

I give you a orange, yogurt tart.  A quick, simple rustic tart with no heavy baking required what could be more springy?? The crust has almonds, the filling is greek yogurt with half and half and for the topping simply fresh cut orange…divine.  Decorate as you wish, I chose to go with what I call earthy- or  homey- or mom just drove in finish already!! Enjoy!!  Have a wonderful weekend… see ya on Monday.

Enjoy!

Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart

Martha Stewart–made by Sarah Carey for Everyday Food

1/2 cup raw almonds

1/4 cup granulated sugar

coarse salt

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)

6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter

2 tsp powdered gelatin (from 1/4 ounce packet)

1/2 cup half-and-half

1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt (2percent)

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

3 medium navel oranges

In a food processor, pulse almonds, granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt until  finely ground. Add flour; pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly and holds together when squeezed. Press crumbs in bottom and up side of an 8-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze 15 minutes (to store, cover and freeze, up to 1 month.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 10 minutes, then remove tart ring and let cool completely.

In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 2 tbsp cold water and let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, warm half-and-half over medium heat. When it begins to steam, add gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved, about 1 minute. In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, brown sugar, and pinch of salt. Stir in warm half-and-half mixture into yogurt mixture. Pour filling into cooled tart shell and refrigerate until set, 2 hours (or up to 1 day).

With a sharp paring knife, slice off ends of oranges. Following curve of fruit, cut away peel, removing as much white pith as ossible. Slice oranges into 1/4 inch thick rounds and remove any seeds. Just before serving, arrange orange slices on top of tart.

Comments

Hello fellow food blogger! Love your blog and this orange tart is amazing.

I was wondering, have you ever blog hopped before? We’d love it if you contributed this delectable tart idea to our blog hop on favorite spring-time recipes. It’s a great way to get links back to your site. Hope to see you there!

You can check out the blog hop here:

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Editor
    RecipeLion.com
    blog.recipelion.com

Hey, Cauldron Boy is from Texas and is insisting that it’s illegal to pick the Blue Bonnets. I believe you though! This tart sounds so healthful and delicious by the way…

How beautiful the fields of bluebonnets are! You’ve started my day out perfectly! Your orange tart is equally pretty and sweet ;)

Thank you for your visit. You have a lovely site!

I love your photos! I do miss the spring flowers so much…although we do have our seasons here too, it’s not quite the same.

Great yogurt tart in honor of your Mom. I hope you had a wonderful time with her!

I’m stunned by the photography in this blog…they’re amazing! It instantly lifted my moods up with all the sunny colors and the tart is just…so bright and cheerful, I can positively say it’s grinning and winking at me!

Oh, that is a gorgeous field. Did you want to just run in it?

I like the look of that tart of yours, especially the crust. It is definitely welcoming spring in with the sunny oranges, and the homemade crust is so sweet and rustic-looking.

Beautiful photos of the bluebonnets! I would love to see them in person someday. Your orange tart sounds so refreshing and I bet it is the perfect springtime snack!

• Vianneybonnie says

Oh if you ever have a chance to see these beauties in person..you will be stunned just so lovely!!

sweetlife

Thanks to your blog I have been exposed to so many cool citrus ideas, and I’d never much thought of baking with citrus before, so thanks so much!
    I also love the little history tidbit you included about the bluebonnet, and those lovely photos =).
    Hope your weekend is wonderful!

~Kurious Kitteh

How nice of you to share pics of the bluebonnets with us! I love bluebonnets too and every year I promise myself I will drive to the Hill country and check out the flowers! I usually forget and tell myself “I will do it next year” In Dallas, there are hardly any worth mentioning!
    Love your tart too! How refreshing and light and definitely springy!

The photos of the bluebonnets are wonderful and your yogurt tart sounds delicious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

tu nous offres de belles photos et couleurs qui représentent le printemps, ta tarte me met l’eau à la bouche, parfumée colorée et très savoureuse
    bonne journée

Dear Bonnie – You’ve done it again! LOVELY! That tart looks absolutely stunning and the flavors leave me smacking my lips as I write this :)

Oh..and bluebonnet fields make me want to write a sonnet …but alas I have no such talent.

Thanks for such a heartwarming post!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Orange and Blue are complementary colours. How appropriate for your post on Bluebonnets and Fresh Orange and Yogurt Tart!

I wish our province looked so pretty right now. It’s pretty brown and drab with lots of leftover sand from the snow. Soon though. This post is highly inspired.

I adore Spring! I swear even the air smells like honey around here when everything begins to bloom. Sadly I still have a few more weeks to go. We had snow last night for Pete’s sake.

That tart is so pretty. Light and airy, just like Spring. Enjoy your weekend with you mom. :)

The bluebonnets are beautiful! and I had no idea about the tradition (learned something new today!)
    The tart looks great and fresh. Nice and light and on the healthy side :) Hooray for spring!
    Cheers,
    C

What a gorgeous display! The tart is just perfect for spring. This is one I will have to try for sure. Down here we deal with too many power outages and horrendous rain in the spring, ugh. Winter is the perfect season for us. Have a wonderful weekend!