Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita

fiesta 018 726x1024 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners    Hey guys we had a small fiesta at our house last night and had every intention to post this last night, but we all started jabbering at the table-the conversation kept going, going, and going.  Does your family break into intense conversations at the dinner table? So we had a fiesta what was the occasion? Let's see..clean house, clean underwear, clean bathrooms, little sis upcoming wedding, video chatted with my two nieces form Kansas.....the list is endless...  The truth is  I woke up this morning with a intense craving fro chiles rellenos. Any one who has ever made chile rellenos knows these babies are soul satisfying, kiss your mama good.  The things is I wasn't looking forward to roasting, peeling and frying the poblanos -not today when the Texas heat is shining strong. I decided on a version you bake in the oven, which freed my hands to make horchata- a blended agua made with rice, almonds and Mexican cinnamon. With the time saved I also made a quick granita of grapefruit, ginger and key limes- tart yet refreshing.  Nothing complicated, easy to put together and all veggies, yup my stuffed poblanos are stuffed with black beans. Enjoy and Hey make time to have your own fiesta--celebrate yourself, your accomplishments, your future, your present, celebrate life..

fiesta 035 1024x473 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners

A quick sauce of pureed tomatoes, jalapeno, onion and garlic keep the chiles moist while baking. I made a side of brown rice, then added finely chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. I sprayed a mold with olive oil and dusted it with smoked paprika.

fiesta 052 1024x685 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners The chiles are stuffed with black beans, onions, cheese and cornmeal to give the texture of the original version that are batter dipped in flour and egg and slightly fried.

fiesta 058 1024x996 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners

End your fiesta with this slightly tart grapefruit granita...Key lime, ginger and a sprinkle of pepitas for crunch.

fiesta 064 1024x968 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners

Grapefruit, ginger and Key lime granita

by sweetlife

serves 4-6

4 large grapefruits ( you need 4 cups of juice)

3 tbsp key lime juice

1 tbsp finely grated ginger, peeled

3/ 4 cups sugar (taste your juice and sweeten to your taste)

garnish grapefruit sections or pepitas

Add grapefruit juice, key lime juice, ginger and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves and pour into a 9 inch pan.

Freeze 4-6 hours stirring ever 30 minutes. Serve or cover with foil and freeze for  up to a week.

To serve scrape surface of granita with a metal spoon and mound in dish of your choice..garnish.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Horchata

by Rick Bayless

Authentic Mexican

serve 6-7

6 tbsp rice

6 ounces (1 1/4) cups blanched almonds

1 inch cinnamon stick

Three 2 inch strips of lime zest (colored rind only), 3/4 inch wide

about 1 cup sugar

Thoroughly pulverize the rice in a blender or spice grinder. Transfer to a medium- size bowl and add the almonds, cinnamon stick and lime zest. stir in 2 1/4 cups of hot tap water, cover and let stand at least 6 hours, or preferably, overnight.

Scoop the mixture into the blender jar and blend for 3 or 4 minutes, until it no longer feels very gritty. Add 2 cups of water, then blend for a few seconds more. set a large sieve over a mixing bowl and line wit 3 layers of dampened cheesecloth. Pour in the almond rice mixture a little at a time, gently stirring to help the liquid pass through. When all has been strained, gather up the corners of the cheesecloth and twist them together to trap the dregs inside. squeeze the package firmly to expel all the remaining liquid.

Add 2 cups of water and stir in enough sugar to sweeten the drink to your taste. If the consistency is too thick, add additional water. Cover and refrigerate until your ready to serve. Stir before pouring.

+++++++++++++++

Stuffed Poblanos

Enjoy..See ya soon..Sweet Life

I am submitting this for Two for Tuesdays...

24Tbadgegirlichef1 Stuffed Poblanos, Horchata and Grapefruit Ginger Key Lime Granita uncategorized sweet treats mexican dinners

Comments

We make Rick Bayless’ horchata. Love his restaurants and love his cookbooks too. I love that your chile relleno is healthier than the standard version.

I wish I had been invited to your fiesta.

I LOOOOOOVE everything about this post! Rick’s horchata recipe is the one I use, too…it rocks! And omg, the poblanos, the rice, the granita…wish I was at your house =) Everything sounds and looks deeeeelightful, thanks so much for sharing it at Two for Tuesdays this week =)

Hey Bonnie, all this food looks so good to me right now. I’m stuffed too. My mom brought me a bunch of food over, and I have some poblano peppers. I’m gonna make them this way…
    That horchata sounds super nice too-I don’t know if I’ve had that before???

Dearest Bonnie – You are a girl after my won heart. The fact that you have fiestas for no reason at all. And the love that you shared int he room in pouring from the first para. Baby sis’ wedding? WOW! How fun! Everything looks amazing. How wonderful to have the earthy flavor of cornmeal in the roasted poblanos.

This looks so very amazing. The granitas with the grapefruit and ginger and pepitas is genius. Also loving the little side of brown rice.

Honestly, the colors and flavors in the food makes me want to join a Mariachi band!

Wonderful post and pics as always.

Hugs, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Heavenly! And yes, soul-satisfying!
    Aren’t granita’s wonderful? So simple to make and everyone LOVES them. Your presentation is so pretty!

Your fiesta was a real feast:-). Everything looks wonderful. I especially like the way you finished the meal. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

Oooooooooh, that Horchata looks amazeballs!! I am totally wanting to grab it though my monitor screen :) I made almond milk for the first time courtey of JillyAnn’s recipe and thought it was brilliant. The addition of rice and the spices is making my mouth drool…. ugh… how uncivilized!
    The rest of your festive fiesta is just astounding. I can’t multi-task cook yet. I cook a main and then you have to fend for the rest. Just jokes, but that’s just on quick weekdays… lol…xoxo

The granita looks refreshing and delightful–love the color! Oh, and chile rellenos…you are right, soul satisfying is the perfect description! I sometimes stuff poblanos with rice, shrimp and goat cheese! They always get rave reviews.

I like your granita–it looks so refreshing and summery. Actually, it also looks as though you’re eating pretty gem stones out of that cup. Or maybe those sugar rock candies thing? All in all, very yummy-looking ;]

Thank you for the granita recipe – it looks so refreshing and even if it’s winter in Sydney, I am going to try this – especially with the pepitas. Such an interesting combination.

Do you know that I’ve never had chile rellenos before? I shock myself sometimes. A lovely pepper, stuffed with cheese and baked (or fried)…how have I NOT tried this lovely thing yet?

yeah, tomorrow is Saturday and that means I can have a fiesta too … love the granita, looks wonderfully refreshing and the poblanos are always my favorite…

That looks absolutely wonderful…I LOVE mexican food. I do a much simpler version of chili rellenos as an appetizer. I grow my own banana peppers…sweet ones and hot. we cut the ends off and pull the ribs out and fill with cubed pepper jack cheese. Brush with oil and grill until the cheese starts to melt. They are just outrageous. This looks quite a bit more involved than that but I will try it because we love the peppers.

That’s what I’m talking about! We need no reason for a little fiesta. Right? The granita looks delish. Great way to finish a nice and spice meal.

So I enjoy mexican food a lot but now I’m having this really big realization that restaurant and home-made mexican dishes may not be all too similar. But wow that just looks so exotic.

Must you post stuff that remind me of the foods I haven’t eaten in ages??!!!

I think I need to bug my mom for another care package that includes whole jalapenos and cornmeal.

Everything looks beautiful and delicious. I particularly love the way you placed that pink grape fruit granita of yours against that light aqua background.

The chiles rellenos look delicious! I have never tried this recipe. Will try to do it your way. The granita looks wonder I could imagine the taste.

un saludo : )

I can’t think of any better reason to have a fiesta than “just because”. All of the food looks amazing, especially those stuffed poblanos. Damn girl you know how to do a party right!

I’m drooling. Come cook for me please. I will pay you with hugs and endless praises of tasty brilliance. Huh? What do you think? Sounds like a plan right? HA!

Beautiful and inspiring recipes and photos as always. Wow, it’s been ages since I’ve had a fiesta. It’s a pity it’s only Thursday, otherwise I’d invite some friends round ;-)

1. […] The Texas temperatures lately have been playing with my emotions. One day bright with sunshine where I can enjoy a day at the beach and the next humid, overcast with chance of rain where we are stuck indoors the entire day, wah. Having lived in Texas all my life you think I would be used to these changes, but they still catch me off guard and on the days where I have sat in front of the computer since 5am I crave, long for a day outside with sun-shiny weather where I can enjoy a tall glass of horchata. […]