Sweet Life Presents Texas Talent – Tony Anderson from What -A-Melon in Edinburg, Texas – Watermelon Yogurt Ice

wateremlon yogurt ice Sweet Life Presents Texas Talent   Tony Anderson from What  A Melon in Edinburg, Texas   Watermelon Yogurt Ice  uncategorized

Happy Friday to all, I hope your week has been full of accomplished goals mixed with loads of laughter.  We end our fabulous week with Tony Anderson from What-A-Melon today and I cannot express how much I enjoyed this post.  Of course there is the sheer joy of cooking and consuming every dish that was prepped for the post. Entwine the feedback from my fellow food lovers and lovely comments left from Tony’s family and I quickly remembered the reason I began blogging in the first place.

Food.  Yes,  food that we consume happily each day, food that brings excitement into our daily routine, talking food, reading about food and if your blessed with the chance to meet one of the talented people who works daily to provide us with such amazing treasures, well it makes for a simply fulfilling week.  So today I leave you with a tasty weekend treat.  A beautifully tinted, creamy watermelon ice mixed with yogurt and lime juice.  Enjoy! Have a wonderful weekend and Thanks again to Tony for sharing some time with us. Sweet Life

Sweet Life – Can you give us any tips on how to pick the best watermelon?
Tony -Look for a uniform, well shaped melon. If you slap it, it should sound good and solid, not hollow.

Sweet Life – Tony how do you enjoy eating your watermelon and do you think after all these years you will ever tire of eating watermelons?
Tony -I like to cut a slice about an inch and a half  or two inches thick and lay it on a plate with the rind still on. I sprinkle a little salt on and eat it with a spoon.
I love to eat watermelon, and I never get tired of eating it.

Watermelon Yogurt Ice

by Eating Well.com

serves 8- each at 1/2 cup

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup sugar

4 cups diced seedless watermelon (about 3 pounds with the rind)

1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt

1 tbsp lime juice

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a glass measuring cup and let cool slightly.

Puree watermelon in a food processor or blender, in 2 batches, pulsing until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the cooled sugar syrup, yogurt and lime juice until combined. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into another large bowl, whisking to release all juice. Discard pulp. Pour the extracted juices into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, pour into a shallow metal pan and freeze until solid, about 6 hours or overnight. Remove from freezer to defrost slightly, 5 minutes. Break into small chunks and process in a food processor, in batches, until smooth and creamy.) Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and freeze for up to 2 hours.

Loving the Sweet Life?  Hey why not subscribe and ever miss a recipe…

Need more watermelon? click on the watermelon tag on my sidebar on the sidebar and enjoy more recipes…

Comments

Yumm! Lime, watermelon and yogurt, this sounds refreshing. I might be too late to find a watermelon though, I might have to bookmark this ’til next summer… that’s what I get for snoozing i guess. Great post Bonnie :)

I love, love watermelons! This looks so good. This is like a yogurt watermelon granita.

Do you guys get yellow watermelon over there? I think that would look great too. If you do, you should try it.

Love the 1st and 2nd photos too!

KM

HAHA! My friends have always given me a wry look upon learning that I like my watermelon with a sprinkle of salt, but if the watermelon man does it too, it must be alright ;] That watermelon ice looks so awesome! I’m so glad that you’ve put alternative instructions for ice-cream maker-less folk like me. Woo.

watermelon sure does remind me of summer :( sadly summer is gone and fall is here. In Toronto – it has been freezing for the past couple of days. It’s not even fall – its more like winter. sucks to be here. I need summer all year round. I might as well move to Miami eh??

Thanks for your lovely post sweetlife – hope you had a wonderful weekend. :) stay happY!!!

have a lovely tuesday love.
    jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

I do love my red joy of sweet freshness…why not add some healthy yogurt ;o) Shall try this out very soon.

Love the contrast with the black cup…very appealing.

Flavourful wishes,

Oh man, have I mentioned how much I adore watermelon? You’ve really got my mouth watering! I wish it was around all year round, especially since I’m dying to try this granita now!

Wow Bonnie, this sounds so wonderful! I love the idea of doing this with watermelon and yogurt-it literally gave me a little chill. Yeah (smile). Though I do have to admit that Tony’s way of eating the melon with just a sprinkle of salt is great too;)
    I don’t have an ice cream machine yet, but I’ve been asking Cauldron Boy for one lately. I’m thinking I will have one soon with both my birthday and Christmas coming up, so I’m bookmarking this. It’s too healthy and lovely to let get lost in the archives.
    Have a good weekend, Bonnie. Stella

That yogurt ice would be perfect in Texas right now…we still need to cool down! Thanks for sharing some more tips on watermelon and another delicious recipe. You are making me glad that I live in the Lone Star state and have access to all this yummy goodness!