Salsa Verde con Tomatillo Milpero
A new day a new salsa … I mean what’s life without salsa? It’s all about the spice at my house.
I picked up 2 lbs of Tomatillos milperos at the small tienda I found fresh chilaca peppers; they never fail to surprise me.
I roasted a pound along with onion and garlic to make this salsa verde for dinner. You could also boil the milperos, but roasting brings out so much more flavor. Roast on a pan lined with foil for easy clean up.
~Tomatillos milperos or miltomates are small tomatillos that grow in cornfields between rows of corn.
~Milpa in Spanish refers to corn fields.
- 1 lb tomatillos milpero
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (removes seeds for less heat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, skin on
- ½ cup cilantro, washed
- Juice from one lime
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pre-heat broiler
- Place tomatillos, onion and garlic on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes to lightly char the skins.
- Be sure to watch the garlic, it will char quickly.
- Allow to cool, remove skin from garlic and place with remaining ingredients into a blender along with cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Blend until smooth.