Spicy Red Velvet Cake
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp butter flavored extract
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- Cream Cheese frosting:
- 2 (8-ounce) pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- fresh blueberries
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2- 9 inch cake pans
- In a bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- To the creamed sugar mixture add eggs one at a time; beat well to incorporate each egg.
- Add vanilla and butter extract to mixture.
- In a separate bowl make a paste with the red food coloring, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne and blend into shortening mixture.
- Alternately add dry ingredient and buttermilk.
- Add vinegar to mixture; mix well.
- Divide batter in two pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove and Let cool completely.
- Frost and decorate with blueberries.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.