Alfajores ~ The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando

alfajores 044 685x1024 Alfajores ~ The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando sweet treats baked goods

When I first approach a new cookbook I do 2 things.

Scope out the pictures.

Head straight for the Index.

If the Index list poblanos, tomatillos, avocado, serrano or dulce de leche.  Purchased.

Notice all the green? Hey… a girl like what she likes.

Alfajores – two cookies with the flavors of shortbread/snickerdoodles held together with dulce de leche.  What’s not to like?

I actually made these cookies twice.  The first time with my girls and nieces over the Labor Day holiday.  In attempt to keep the kitchen clean I over baked the first batch.

A little too golden for my taste, but after a smidgen of dulce de leche the kids gobbled them up.  The following evening I whipped up another batch of dough, parked it in the fridge and baked them off last night.

alfajores 018 685x1024 Alfajores ~ The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando sweet treats baked goods

Great color, texture and size I was more than happy.  Add your dulce de leche and your set.   But Please Please don’t be stingy with the dulce de leche.  The thicker the better. Enjoy!

alfajores 027 1024x685 Alfajores ~ The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando sweet treats baked goods

Alfajores

with Dulce de Leche

makes 3 dozen

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

store -bought dulce de leche for filling

powdered sugar for dusting

1- cream the butter and sugar together for a minute or two, until they look light and fluffy.

2- in the meantime, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set it aside.

3- add in the egg and egg yolk one at a time, mixing after each addition. add vanilla extract and mix briefly. add in flour mixture and mix just until the dough starts to come together.

4- working quickly, turn out the dough and use a little heat from your hands to make it a solid ball. pullout a large plastic wrap and flatten the dough on top to make a disk. double wrap it and refrigerate for 1 hour, until firm.

5- line several cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. rotate the dough between rolls to make sure it’s not sticking to the surface.

using a 2 inch fluted or round cutter, cut out cookies and carefully transfer them onto sheets, placing them about 1 inch apart.

6- chill sheets again for about 15-20 minutes, until the dough is very firm. then bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until tops of the cookies have just firmed and bottoms are starting to color slightly.

cool the sheets on wire racks before assembling the sandwiches.

7- drop, pipe or spread a teaspoon of dulce de leche into the center of each cookie, then top with another. sift powdered sugar over the assembled sandwiches.

alfajores 073 204x300 Alfajores ~ The Cookiepedia by Stacy Adimando sweet treats baked goods

Thank you to Quirk Books for sending me a copy of Stacy Adimando’s The Cookiepedia book to review.

Comments

1. Imane says

Hi,
    loved the recipe wanted to make it but couldn’t. coze I couldn’t print it and a pc cant go to the kitchen . LOOOOL.
    would you help me please and tell me how can I print this recipe for me to have it on hand and do it.

2. Kristen says

I made these and I was not sure how they would turn out because the prior comments did not comment on the turn out. Let me say that this was an easy recipe and tastes AMAZING! They were just like an alfajor, light but crunchy. I used some left over ganache because I did not have dulce de leche on hand. I will be saving this recipe. This is a must make. YUMMY!

• VianneyVianney says

Hi Kristen~
      I am so happy you enjoyed them!! I bet ganache would taste amazing with these light cookies. Thanks for sharing!! Happy holidays!!

Vianney ~ Sweet Life

There is a Peruvian place within walking distance that sells these for 1.25 a pop!
    I buy 12$ worth..lol..
    Ty for this recipe!! My hubby’s family is from Limbaugh & I will make this for them as a surprise. They r addicting and yummy, after lomo sal tado ?
    fran recently posted..T.G.I.F #1My Profile

4. Supersteives says

Stacy…I am going to make these as the cookies for my cookie swap..Call me crazy I have read the blog post over and over and I do not see the Oven Temp? Maybe too much Xmas shopping but I do not see it, Can you help?

• Supersteives says

Thanks a bunch…I made the dough & crock pock ducle de leche and had just been waiting to find out the temp. Thank You & Merry Christmas

My mom always said it’s not worth it to put dulce de leche in desserts – it’s the best on it’s own.
    However, alfajores are the one thing she knows just serve to highlight the dulce de leche! The shortbread is the perfect complement. I can only imagine how good these are! Your pictures are gorgeous. I’ll definitely be trying this recipe.
    Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese FrostingMy Profile

• VianneyVianney says

Your mom’s a smart lady!! I myself eat dulce de leche by the spoonfuls, lol. The cookie itself is very light so you get plenty of Dule de leche taste. Thanks for stopping by, send my best to your mom!

• VianneyVianney says

Hello Michelle, yes I used Nestle’s canned dulce de leche! They were amazing, thanks for stopping by..love the blog name daily waffle!!

People actually have the self-control to skimp on the dulce de leche? You just reminded me of these dulche de leche macaroons I hid in the freezer to stop myself eating them! Your cookies look just perfect!

xx

I do the same thing you do with new cookbooks. Pics first then index then I go further into reading the book:) These cookies look divine! Straight out of a magazine picture perfect and I can’t wait to share them with my family. My husband especially

Wow….you must own a LOT of cookbooks!! :D
    Though I have yet to try dulche de leche, anything with it always looks amazingly good :) These cookies look so perfectly shaped and coloured!

Oh, these look delicious! My sister and I tried to make dulce de leche once before by heating a can of condensed milk for hours. Although we haven’t tasted the authentic stuff before, the stuff we made tasted too much like condensed milk for our liking. Next time, we’ll be stirring a pot of dulce de leche from scratch for hours ;] Great filling for these cookies.

Oh my! I like these — so delicious-looking! I especially like what you wrote: “Please Please don’t be stingy with the dulce de leche. The thicker the better. Enjoy!” That’s enticement to make this recipe. ;-)

Bonnie…We must have been separated at the bookstore (if not at birth) LOL.
    I always judge a book by the index…followed by visuals and of course the book has to have a darn great Desserts section. Thanks for sharing the cookies ;o)

Have a great weekend,