I’m giving the traditional tres leches cake by adding conchas! My concha tres leches cake is the ultimate pastel to serve for Valentine’s Day. Made with a box cake this tres leches cake comes together in a snap.
Tres leches means, “three milks” A tres leches cake is a cake soaked in a sweet milk mixture. Tres Leches cake is a popular cake in Mexico and Latin America made to celebrate birthdays, weddings and family reunions.
Today I want how easy to share my concha tres leches cake is to whip for Valentine’s Day for any family celebration. My mami loves tres leches for her birthday, my sister loves to make it whenever we BBQ.
I’m highlighting my childhood love for Conchas with a new series called TODAS LAS CONCHAS. 14 days of new concha recipes leading up to the sweetest day Valentine’s Day, featuring our beloved concha.
The sweet smell of conchas reminds me of my childhood. Nothing made me happier than walking to the panaderia with my Abuelito to buy pan dulce – the pink ones were my sister’s favorite; I preferred a chocolate concha. They were soft, fluffy, and sweet just like my Abuelito.
I grew up with conchas – and I am now raising my daughters on conchas – todo el amor
No other pan dulce represents our heritage culture, love of Mexico and reminds us of home and family like the concha.
The concha is SO much more than just a delicious pastry, it is part of our childhood, our memories of time with the family and the sweetest gift we share with our children.
What I also love is that talented bakers & bakeries are continuing to bake, share and experiment with our beloved concha gifting us with amazing new flavors, new concha designs and desserts featuring the concha – todo el talento.
TIPS ON MAKING CONCHA TRES LECHES CAKE
- I use a box cake mix for this recipe, but you can use your favorite cake recipe.
- For this recipe, I use a white cake mix, but guys try chocolate if you really want to mix it up.
- Try coconut milk for one of the tres leches, three milks for a cool twist.
- Carefully dice the tops off of the conchas to create a fun topping for the tres leches.
- Gently push the diced conchas into the cake batter, you want the piece submerged into the batter so they cake will bake evenly.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 6 conchas
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Whipped topping
- For cake: Pre-Heat oven to 350°F Liberally spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice three conchas into small bite-sized pieces set aside. Carefully slice off the tops of the remaining three conchas, you want to slice as closely as you can to the sweet topping so that you can easily crumble the sliced tops, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla, and eggs with until well blended. Scraping down sides as needed. Pour batter into pan. Gently push the diced conchas into the batter, until the conchas are evenly dist4rubyrted throughout the cake batter, set remaining pieces aside.
- Bake as directed on box for a 13×9-inch pan.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. While the cake is still warm, poke holes in every 1/2 inch with a knife or fork.
- Carefully pour milks evenly over top of the cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake. Top with whipped topping and garnish crumbled concha tops.
MORE CONCHA RECIPES: